How much does this cost Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I minimize my data charges when I use my phone outside of The Bahamas.
- How am I charged for voicemail calls when travelling internationally?
- Will I be charged Long Distance in addition to the per minute roaming rate?
- Cruise Ship Roaming
Q: How do I minimize my data charges when I use my phone outside of The Bahamas.A:
Smartphones have many data intensive applications eg Facebook making it normal for Customers to transfer more data than they would have on older devices. BTC offers the following tips to help minimise your bill.
- Turn Data Roaming ‘OFF’.
- Use Wi-Fi where available instead of 3G/GPRS/EDGE.
- Turn Fetch New Data “OFF”.
- Reset the Usage Tracker to ZERO, this will allow you to keep a daily track on your data usage.
- BTC now sends its Customers an advisory SMS highlighting their Data spend. These sms messages are sent at US$10, US$20, US$30, US$40, US$50 and in US$25 increments thereafter. These messages are sent once a data session closes down and exceeds the above limits.
- A data session is the opening/use of any internet enabled service, application, etc.
Q: How am I charged for voicemail calls when travelling internationally?A:
Voicemails are charged as follows
If your device is switched on/active.
- Calls that you do not answer that are routed to the BTC voicemail system will be charged as an international roaming incoming call to your device.
- In addition, the foreign carrier's routing of that call to the BTC voicemail system may generate an outgoing call charge from your device's location to The Bahamas.
- These charges apply even if the caller disconnects from the voicemail system without leaving a message.
If your device is turned off or in flight mode and the wireless network is off.
- When someone tries to call you, the call will go directly to your personal voicemail greeting.
- Since the network does not try to deliver the call to you in a foreign country, there are no international roaming charges.
Q: Will I be charged Long Distance in addition to the per minute roaming rate?A:
No. All calls you make or receive internationally are charged at the per minute voice roaming rate – with no additional long distance charges.
Q: Cruise Ship RoamingA:
Cruise ship roaming is traditionally very expensive with voice/data rates of US$10 per minute/MB. To minimise any activity on the ships network it is advised that you minimise any usage whilst onboard and when docked please ensure you are using a network in the country visited and not the ship based system.