Getting Started Frequently Asked Questions
- Will I be able to roam automatically when I travel?
- How do I minimize my data charges when I use my phone outside of The Bahamas.
- How do I activate Roaming?
- How do I manually configure my phone when roaming?
- Can I deactivate my voicemail while roaming?
- How do I make local calls in the country I am visiting?
- How is Roaming Different for Postpaid customers?
- What steps should I take if my data services are not registering.
- Do I still have unlimited/packaged data when roaming outside of The Bahamas.
- Save your International Customer Care number to your phone book.
Q: Will I be able to roam automatically when I travel?A:
If you would like to roam while you travel, you will need to activate the roaming feature if you are a postpaid customer by contacting BTC Customer Service. Prepaid customer will not need to activate a roaming feature and will automatically be permitted to roam in countries where BTC has roaming agreements. Please note standard that roaming charges apply.
Q: How do I minimize my data charges when I use my phone outside of The Bahamas.A:
Smartphones have many data intensive applications eg Facebook making it normal for Customers to transfer more data than they would have on older devices. BTC offers the following tips to help minimise your bill.
- Turn Data Roaming ‘OFF’.
- Use Wi-Fi where available instead of 3G/GPRS/EDGE.
- Turn Fetch New Data “OFF”.
- Reset the Usage Tracker to ZERO, this will allow you to keep a daily track on your data usage.
- BTC now sends its Customers an advisory SMS highlighting their Data spend. These sms messages are sent at US$10, US$20, US$30, US$40, US$50 and in US$25 increments thereafter. These messages are sent once a data session closes down and exceeds the above limits.
- A data session is the opening/use of any internet enabled service, application, etc.
Q: How do I activate Roaming?A:
You will need to go into your phone’s settings and ensure that roaming is allowed. Mobile data roaming, if you wish to use it, is also generally something that you will need to enable on your device.
Q: How do I manually configure my phone when roaming?A:
To manually select a network for roaming go to Mobile Networks, choose Network Selection Mode and then select Manual. Once selected a list of roaming partners will appear; choose the preferred roaming partner.
Q: Can I deactivate my voicemail while roaming?A:
Yes, voicemail can be deactivated. Please see Voicemail Deactivation Instructions While Roaming for additional information.
Q: How do I make local calls in the country I am visiting?A:
To call a number in the country you are visiting, dial the country code, the area code, and the number.
For example, if you're dialling a number in Alexandria, Virginia while located in Washington, D.C., it should look like: 1 703 5555555.
Q: How is Roaming Different for Postpaid customers?A:
We have many more available roaming partners for postpaid presently than we have for prepaid. Now more than 300. We also have preferred roaming partners for our Caribbean, US and Canadian destinations – the most destinations for Bahamian travellers. See our website for details on roaming and roaming charges.
Q: What steps should I take if my data services are not registering.A:
If your having difficulty using data when outside of The Bahamas, try using the following steps
- Try manual scanning for a supported network, this can normally be done via the following device menu options: Settings>Options>Network>Change network selection to manual>Click scan for new network>Select a network other than the one on which you are currently registered.
- If the above does not work then please take out the battery, re-insert and reboot your device, this is especially useful for Smart Phones and Blackberry’s.
Q: Do I still have unlimited/packaged data when roaming outside of The Bahamas.A:
International roaming rates apply for any voice or data usage outside the BTC coverage area and are not covered under your existing local data plan.
Q: Save your International Customer Care number to your phone book.A:
The number that you need to contact BTC Customer Care is +1-855-337-0603 – this number is staffed between the hours of 0900 – 2100hrs Bahamas local.